R30085 NCB, Sentinel, 0-6-0, Stanton No. 57 - Era 7
In 1959 Sentinel produced a prototype diesel shunter which was operated on the military controlled Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway. In total 17 were produced and operated quite successfully during that year. 1963 saw the introduction of the 34 ton chain drive 4 wheel Rolls-Royce diesel powered Sentinel Shunter rated at 233 bhp which was later uprated to 255bhp.
As time progressed the design was modified with all manner of variations, including 6 and 8 wheel coupled locomotives which found service in collieries, dockyards, quarries and foundries, with others being exported and operated on Portuguese Railways. Over the years, as these locomotives were retired, many found their way on to preserved railways where they continue to provide stalwart service.
Rolls Royce Sentinel 10214 was built in November 1964 for the Stanton Ironworks in Ilkeston. While there the locomotive was given the number 57, and worked alongside other Sentinels, often hauling tipper wagons loaded with molten iron. More recently the locomotive could be found working at Boulby Mine in Yorkshire, painted in a bright yellow livery and named 'Lady Potter'.